Steward oversees all aspects of meal service and also manages the maintenance of guest cabins and all public areas. The Steward inventories and restocks all cocktail and wine service items, table settings, cabin linens, toiletries and other supplies necessary for maintaining quality guest services. The Steward supervises the Assistant Steward, and reports to the Captain. TBC’s philosophy is that the entire crew compliment works together as a team to accomplish the task of maintaining a safe, efficient and enjoyable workplace, and therefore NO CREWMEMBER IS ABOVE ANY WORK NEEDING TO BE DONE TO MEET THIS OVERALL GOAL.
- Maintain inventory and supplies of all necessary cocktail snacks, bar supplies, sodas, mixers, meal-service items and table settings. Manage costs to stay within TBC budget.
- Serve appetizers and work closely with Chef to ensure high-quality meal presentations.
- Supervise and assist with dining room set-up, meal service and bussing.
- Help with dish washing and galley cleaning chores, and assist with the removal of food refuse, glass and other kitchen waste to dumpster on deck.
- Manage wine and liquor inventories, and maintain orderliness in areas where wine and liquor stores are kept.
- When necessary, assist with preparation of sack lunches for guests and guides, and work with the Chef to ensure bottled water, coffee thermoses, or other beverages and foods are offered and available for guest use during fishing or shore excursions.
- Maintain stocks of toiletries, towels, bed linens, blankets, and all other supplies for guest cabins.
- Clean guest cabins daily during cruises by tidying-up, vacuuming and cleaning bathrooms.
- Maintain orderliness and cleanliness in all public areas, paying attention to details such as clean windows, empty trash containers, vacuumed carpets, well-tended plants and fresh flower arrangements.
- Ensure laundry areas are kept clean and orderly. Maintain supplies of detergents, window cleaners, spot removers, deodorizers and all other interior-area cleaning agents and supplies.
- Upon direction from Captain, undertake other duties such as cleaning/storing sport caught fish, handling lines or fenders upon entering or leaving port, assisting with greeting or sending-off guests, helping with luggage, etc.
- Produce complete end-of-season inventory of guest service supplies, plus a needs list for following season.
- US Citizen, US National or valid Green Card holder. No exceptions!
- Must pass pre-employment drug screen, reference checks and background check.
- Minimum of one year hotel, restaurant or cruise ship experience in position of responsibility, such as reception/front office manager, chief steward, head waiter/waitress, or food and beverage director.
- Must be team-spirited, and capable of living and working in close-quarters for long periods of time with other crew members.
- Must have sufficiently acute hearing, eyesight and depth perception to meet the demands of at-sea service. Must be capable of using escape hatches and boarding /disembarking survival craft unassisted.
- Must be available for entire season of operation from early April thru mid-September, commencing and completing the term of employment in the Puget Sound area of Washington State.
- Previous experience in the maritime industry, especially passenger vessel service, is beneficial.
The Boat Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.